How to Apply for Financial Aid 

  1. Apply for admission to Carl Sandburg College. Online Application
  2. Create an FSA ID for the student and parent (if dependent). This is a one-time process. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online systems and will serve as your legal signature. Create an FSA ID.  The following video is helpful in understanding the requirements to set up an FSA ID.  Instructional Video – How to Create an FSA ID.
  3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Sandburg's Federal School code is 007265. You may complete the FAFSA online via the internet at The FAFSA is used to award federal, state and some institutional aid.
  4. Monitor your Financial Aid status at mySandburg/Self-Service Menu/MyFinancialAid/Financial Aid Self Service and your Sandburg email account. 
  5. Complete and submit any Required Documents on My Financial Aid.
  6. Continue to monitor the process for additional requests. Once processing is complete we will email your Sandburg email account and post your award letter on Financial Aid Self Service. 
  7. Once your award letter is posted, you may apply for a student loan if it shows you are eligible for a loan. If you are interested in a loan, complete the three steps found under 'Apply for Federal Student Loan'.

When to Apply for Financial Aid

  • Apply between October 1, 2016* through June 30, 2018
  • Use Income from 2015*
  • Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Summer 2018
  • Apply between October 1, 2017* through June 30, 2019
  • Use Income from 2016*
  • Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Summer 2019

Financial Aid and Tuition Deadline

Tuition and fees are due approximately three weeks before each semester. Keep in mind that applying for financial aid involves multiple steps. If financial aid eligibility has not been determined by the tuition due date, students need to pay or sign up for the payment plan.

Transfer Financial Aid

Financial aid does not automatically transfer between institutions.  Transfers who did not initially include Sandburg on the FAFSA, need to add Sandburg's school code 007265 at by selecting "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA".   Then follow steps 4 through 7 above to complete and submit the FAFSA.


Sandburg offers students the opportunity to add one or more authorized users (called a Proxy) which allows the authorized user to make online payments on your behalf and access financial aid documents and awarding information.  The authorized user will receive a separate login and password to access the account. 

Authorized users do not have access to your stored payment methods, academic records, grades, personal emails, or other personal information. Making your parents (or other individuals you authorize) an authorized user does not give Sandburg staff permission to discuss your student account records with your authorized user.

The student controls what the user can access.  To set up an authorized user to act on your behalf, follow the instructions on the link below.  If you have any questions, please contact us at 309.341.5260.

Proxy Setup Instructions

Special Conditions:  What If you Don't Get Enough Financial Aid?

Some families experience a change in their circumstances that impacts their ability to pay college expenses. If you experience a loss of job or benefits, a death or divorce, you may qualify for a recalculation of your eligibility. Special Conditions applications may be submitted after June 1, AND after the student has been awarded or denied federal student aid based on the original application. Special Conditions may increase your eligibility for federal aid and in some situations the Illinois MAP Grant. Please go to the Financial Aid Forms page or contact the Financial Aid Office for a Special Conditions application.  


Additional Resources - Applying for Financial Aid

Attendance - No Show Policy

Calculating Financial Aid

Cost of Attendance

Eligibility for Financial Aid

FAFSA Questions

Financial Aid Forms

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Important Financial Aid Websites

Losing Financial Aid

Processing Deadlines

Renewing Your Financial Aid

Summer Financial Aid




Financial Aid Office

Location: Main Campus E101

Phone: 309.341.5283