How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply for admission to Carl Sandburg College. Online Application
- Create an FSA ID for the student and parent (if dependent). This is a one-time process. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online systems and will serve as your legal signature. Create an FSA ID. The following video is helpful in understanding the requirements to set up an FSA ID. Instructional Video – How to Create an FSA ID.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Sandburg's Federal School code is 007265. You may complete the FAFSA online via the internet at www.fafsa.gov. The FAFSA is used to award federal, state and some institutional aid.
- Monitor your Financial Aid status at mySandburg/Self-Service Menu/MyFinancialAid/Financial Aid Self Service and your Sandburg email account.
- Complete and submit any Required Documents on My Financial Aid.
- Continue to monitor the process for additional requests. Once processing is complete we will email your Sandburg email account and post your award letter on Financial Aid Self Service.
- Once your award letter is posted, you may apply for a student loan if it shows you are eligible for a loan. If you are interested in a loan, complete the three steps found under 'Apply for Federal Student Loan'.
IMPORTANT: FAFSA APPLICATION PROCESS BEGINS OCTOBER 1
When to Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply between January 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017
- Use Income from 2015
- Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Summer 2017
- Apply between October 1, 2016* through June 30, 2018
- Use Income from 2015*
- Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Summer 2018
- Apply between October 1, 2017* through June 30, 2019
- Use Income from 2016*
- Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Summer 2019
Financial Aid and Tuition Deadline
Tuition and fees are due approximately three weeks before each semester. Keep in mind that applying for financial aid involves multiple steps. If financial aid eligibility has not been determined by the tuition due date, students need to pay or sign up for the payment plan.
Transfer Financial Aid
Financial aid does not automatically transfer between institutions. Transfers who did not initially include Sandburg on the FAFSA, need to add Sandburg's school code 007265 at www.fafsa.gov by selecting "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA". Then follow steps 4 - 7 above to complete and submit the FAFSA.
Parent Access to Financial Aid and Billing
Sandburg offers students the opportunity to add one or more authorized users to the student account for financial aid and billing purposes. The authorized user is called a Proxy. The student controls what the user can access. To set up a proxy to act on your behalf, follow the instructions on the link below. If you have any questions, please contact us at 309.341.5260.
Special Conditions: What If you Don't Get Enough Financial Aid?
Some families experience a change in their circumstances that impacts their ability to pay college expenses. If you experience a loss of job or benefits, a death or divorce, you may qualify for a recalculation of your eligibility. Special Conditions applications may be submitted after June 1, AND after the student has been awarded or denied federal student aid based on the original application. Special Conditions may increase your eligibility for federal aid and in some situations the Illinois MAP Grant. Please go to the Financial Aid Forms page or contact the Financial Aid Office for a Special Conditions application.
Additional Resources - Applying for Financial Aid
Financial Aid Office
Location: Main Campus E101