Veterans Support

Carl Sandburg College is proud to serve and provide an educational opportunity for students and their dependents who have and are serving our country.  We are committed to help our Veterans make an easy transition to college life.

Students that need to obtain a Military Transcript can request it to be sent to Carl Sandburg College at Transcripts for Military Personnel.

For more information on VA Education Benefits, go to VA's website at Once there, go to the left side of the webpage and select the Education and Training section.

Federal Educational Programs

  •         Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
  •         Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill
  •         Chapter 31 VA Vocational Rehabilitation
  •         Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance program (DEA)
  •         Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve
  •         Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

State-Affiliated Educational Program

Illinois Veterans Grant - (IVG)
  • This program provides payment of tuition and certain fees at an Illinois public two- or four-year college or university. The grant is available to qualified Illinois veterans or military service members with at least one year of active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and who have served honorably. Veterans must have been residents of Illinois six months prior to entering the services and must have returned to Illinois to reside within six months of leaving the service.  Students need to be enrolled in one or more credit hours to participate.
  • Qualified veterans may receive IVG benefits for the equivalent of four academic years of full-time enrollment, which is measured in eligibility units. Recipients may accumulate up to 120 eligibility units.
  • Students can obtain an IVG Program application at or the Coordinator of Veterans & Military Personnel Student Services, or the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs field offices. Mail or Fax the completed application and required documentation to ISAC’s Deerfield Office at FAX 847.831.8549.

Illinois National Guard Grant - (ING)
  • This program provides payment of tuition and certain fees at an Illinois public two- or four-year college or university. A student must be in active status with the Illinois Army or Air National Guard and have served for at least one year to be eligible for the ING Grant.
  • ING Grant benefits for an academic year are determined based on the number of credit hours for which the qualified applicant is enrolled.
  • Recipients who have completed less than ten years of active duty ING service may accumulate up to 120 eligibility units and recipients who have completed ten years or more of active duty ING service may accumulate up to 180 eligibility units.**
  • The Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant application is available online at

MIA/POW Scholarship
  • The State of Illinois provides an education scholarship for the dependents of veterans who are either Missing In Action, a Prisoner of War, died while on active duty or 100% disabled due to service connected disabilities or died as a result of a service connected disabilities. The scholarship application and information on eligibility and documents needed are found at MIA/POW Benefits

To make an appointment with our veteran representative please contact:

Chris Shaw
Coordinator of Veterans and Military Personnel Student Services/Financial Aid Specialist
Phone: 309-341-5321
Fax: 309-344-2529
Located in Room E-101 Financial Aid Office

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is designed to help students assess the total cost of attending Sandburg. Using a simplified format, the sheet presents information about available financial aid, net costs, and how much a student should expect to pay out-of-pocket. This information should be used to help students compare financial aid packages offered by different institutions.

Access the shopping sheet using mySandburg after financial aid has been awarded aid for the current academic year. 

How to Access the Shopping Sheet 
  1. Log into
  2. Select Self-Service
  3. Go to Financial Aid
  4. Click on Financial Aid Self-Service,
  5. Now while the mouse is on the "Financial Aid" tab a menu will appear
  6. Click on Federal Shopping Sheet
  7. Select the current school year

The figures noted in the shopping sheet are based on estimates; specific costs may differ from the information provided.

Supporting Our Veterans Military Friendly School Military Advanced Education & Transition





Fiscal Impact Survey