1 Grants | Carl Sandburg College




Carl Sandburg College offers a wide variety of financial aid programs from various federal and state resources. Listed below is a descriptive summary of the major programs that Sandburg participates in.


Federal Pell Grant (Pell)

A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited to be the equivalent of six years. Awards are based on financial need by reviewing the income and assets of the family. 


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
FSEOG is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need; that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFC) and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. An FSEOG does not have to be paid back. This is a federal grant and funding is limited. Awards are prioritized based on financial need, application date and family income. Federal SEOG grant is prorated at 75 percent for 9-11 hours and 50 percent for 6-8 hours.


Illinois Monetary Award Program Grant (MAP):
This is a state grant to help students meet their educational costs. The MAP award is based on 15 credit hours. MAP payment is calculated as follows: Semester award ÷ 15 × enrolled semester credits. Minimum enrollment is three credits. You will become ineligible for the ISAC MAP Grant if you received MAP Grant funds for more than 75 credit hours. 


By applying for financial aid and agreeing to share that information with the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) you have been considered for the State of Illinois (IL) Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. If you were determined to meet the eligibility criteria for the MAP grant, an award is included on your award letter. This award may be an estimate made by the financial aid office and, if so, is identified as a "State of IL MAP Grant (Est)". MAP grants are limited based on the number of applicants and funding levels appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly. Please be aware that in light of state funding constraints, reductions to estimated or actual MAP grants are possible. Eligibility for a MAP grant is tracked by the equivalent number of semester credit hours of MAP benefits paid on your behalf. This is called MAP Paid Credit Hours. Payment for each term is being made according to the equivalent number of credit hours eligible for MAP payment, with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 15 MAP Paid Credit Hours. There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid while you are classified by your school as a freshman and sophomore. This limit is the equivalent of 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours. If this maximum is reached, you must attain junior status for your MAP grant eligibility to resume. The maximum number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be received is capped at 135. If a State of IL MAP Grant (Est) is not included in your award letter, you are not eligible for the grant at Carl Sandburg College.


You may find the amount of MAP paid credit hours you have used by calling 1.800.899.4722. Students at a community college may not be classified as a junior or senior.


Federal Work Study (FWS)
This program allows students to seek on campus employment to help them earn funds to meet their educational costs. Students can earn up to the amount shown on their award notification. Students are paid in a biweekly paycheck for hours actually worked. Employment opportunities are available at the Galesburg and Carthage campuses.