Data Retrieval Instructions

Data Retrieval Instructions


Go to the FAFSA website
choose “Login”
Enter your information on the Login page
Choose Next
Choose 2015-16
At the bottom of the screen select “Make FAFSA Corrections”
Enter the students PIN that was created on the initial FAFSA and create a password
Choose NEXT
Once the FAFSA opens, choose the Financial Information for Student
Or for Parents choose Financial Information Parent
You will be prompted to answer “For 2014, have ____ completed their IRS income tax return or another tax return?” This should be ‘already completed’. Update if necessary
Look for the question: You may be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool . . . and answer the questions presented. Note when the screen first displays you will only see the first question.
If you get a response of “Based on your response, we recommend that you transfer your information from the IRS into this FAFSA.”
You will then be prompted to select 
then click )
If you don’t get this response, review your answers and try again.
The following screen will display.
Choose OK
Enter all the requested information
EXACTLY as it appeared on the tax return.
Pay particular attention to how address fields were reported on the tax return and match the information here.
Choose submit
The IRS tax information will display.
Choose “Transfer my Tax Information into the FAFSA”
Select “Transfer Now”


The following screen will appear
Select Save
Select Next

If you are a Dependent Student repeat these steps for the Parent
Select Save and Next
Choose the Sign and Submit tab
On the List of Changes
Choose Next
On the Sign and Submit page,
Enter the student’s PIN
Choose Agree
(If Dependent do the same for the parents)
Choose Submit my FAFSA Now
You will see 2015-16 Confirmation Page –
If your data cannot be transferred, you need to follow these instructions
“Based on your response, you are not eligible to transfer your information from the IRS into this FAFSA”. Instead, you will have to obtain a ‘Tax Return Transcript’ for your 2013 tax information from the IRS and submit it to our office. Or, if you filed a joint return and are now separated, divorced, widowed or remarried, you must submit a Federal Tax Return Transcript as well as all W-2 forms. If you filed an amended tax return, they must submit both a Federal Tax Return Transcript and a Federal Tax Account Transcript to our office.
Tax transcripts may be requested from the IRS in the following ways:
1. Submitting an online request at,,id=232168,00.html
2. Calling 800.908.9946
3. Mailing an IRS form 4506T-EZ (to request a tax return transcript)


Helpful Hints for using the IRS Data Retreival Tool:

  • Enter the name and address EXACTLY as it appears on the tax return. The retrieval process will fail if you enter the address as “S.” on the FAFSA, but used “South” on your tax return.
  • Make sure you hit submit after a successful match with the IRS.
  • There is a helpful video at



  • Go to the website:
  • Log in to the student’s FAFSA record
  • Select “Make FAFSA Correction”
  • Navigate to the Financial Information section
  • Choose the financial information screen for student
  • Follow the instructions to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool
  • Enter the tax return status, then answer the question regarding IRS Retrieval Tool options
  • If eligible, proceed to the retrieval process
  • Say ok to leaving the FAFSA Website
  • Enter name, address and filing status EXACTLY as it appears on your Federal Tax Return. If middle initial is on the tax return, enter a space after the first name and then the middle initial
  • Enter transfer now,
  • Say ok to return to FAFSA
  • Choose the sign and submit page, select sign electronically and enter FSA ID
  • Scroll to bottom of page and select SUBMIT


Deadline to Complete Verification
Please be sure to respond to requests for documentation in a timely manner to avoid delays in processing and applying your financial aid to your student account. You must provide the required documentation as soon as possible, but no later than three weeks prior to the end of the semester or before you withdraw from classes.


The majority of financial aid funds are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis and until the missing items are submitted to our office, processing of your financial aid is not possible. If documents are not returned in a timely manner, we cannot guarantee you will receive financial aid.


Please contact our office if you have questions about filling out your verification forms.
Once we have received your required documents, we will verify the information reported as stated under the financial aid program rules-CFR, Title 34, Part 668.