Applying for Aid and Eligibility
When to Apply for Financial Aid
|Year||Application Begins||Tax Information to Report|
|2016-17||January 1, 2016||2015|
|2017-18||October 1, 2016||2015|
The federal financial aid application dates will see a major shift starting with 2016-17. Students will begin filing the FAFSA on Oct 1 each year and will report income from two years prior. This will benefit most families and with the income available from the IRS at the initial filing date, it will simplify the application process and reduce requests for income verification.
To learn more, here is a quick video on how families will benefit using prior-prior year income data. How Prior-Prior Year Helps Students
How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply for admission to Carl Sandburg College. Online Application
- Create an FSA ID for the student and parent (if dependent). This is a one-time process. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online systems and will serve as your legal signature. Create an FSA ID. The following video is helpful in understanding the requirements to set up an FSA ID. Instructional Video – How to Create an FSA ID.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Sandburg's Federal School code is 007265. You may complete the FAFSA online via the internet at www.fafsa.gov. The FAFSA is used to award federal, state and some institutional aid.
- Monitor your Financial Aid status at mySANDBURG/Self-Service Menu/MyFinancialAid/Financial Aid Self Service and your Sandburg email account.
- Complete and submit any Required Documents on My Financial Aid.
- Continue to monitor the process for additional requests. Once processing is complete we will email your Sandburg email account and post your award letter on Financial Aid Self Service.
- Once your award letter is posted, you may apply for a student loan if it shows you are eligible for a loan. If you are interested in a loan, complete the three steps found under 'Apply for Federal Student Loan' at sandburg.edu/financial-aid/loans
Financial Aid and Tuition Deadline
Tuition and fees are due approximately three weeks before each semester. Keep in mind that applying for financial aid can be a long process. If your financial aid eligibility has not been determined by the tuition due date, you will need to pay or sign up for the college’s payment plan. You should file your FAFSA by June 1 for the fall semester, Nov. 1 for the spring semester and March 1 for the summer semester. If you are transferring your financial aid from another institution, please go back to your FAFSA application and add our school code (007265) to your application and re-submit your FAFSA so our office receives the information or contact the Financial Aid Office to help you with this process.
Parent Access to Financial Aid and Billing
Sandburg offers students the opportunity to add one or more authorized users to the student account for financial aid and billing purposes. The authorized user is called a Proxy. The student controls what the user can access. To set up a proxy to act on your behalf, follow the instructions on the link below. If you have any questions, please contact us at 309.341.5260.
Which Year Form Should You File?
The 2016-17 Free Application for FAFSA is used to award aid for the following terms: 2016 Fall, 2017 Spring and 2017 Summer.
What If you Don't Get Enough Financial Aid?
Some families experience a change in their circumstances that impacts their ability to pay college expenses. If you experience a loss of job or benefits, a death or divorce, you may qualify for a recalculation of your eligibility. Special Conditions applications may be submitted after June 1, AND after the student has been awarded or denied federal student aid based on the original application. Special Conditions may increase your eligibility for federal aid and in some situations the Illinois MAP Grant. Please go to the Financial Aid Forms page or contact the Financial Aid Office for a Special Conditions application.