Applying For Aid

campus photo

Applying For Aid



You can complete the FAFSA for the upcoming year after Jan. 1. Some programs have limited funding; therefore, we recommend you file your FAFSA by February 15.


Follow these Easy Steps


  1. Apply for admission to Carl Sandburg College. Online Application
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is completed online at You will sign your application using a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
    Sandburg's FAFSA school code is: 007265.
  3. Our office typically receives your FAFSA results within one to two weeks.
  4. Respond quickly to any request(s) for additional information from our Financial Aid Office.
  5. Review your financial aid award. You will receive a "Financial Aid Award Notification" from Sandburg indicating the amount and types of aid for which you are eligible. If you are interested in a loan, you must complete additional steps online.


VERY IMPORTANT!! Tuition and fees are due approximately three weeks before each semester. Keep in mind that applying for financial aid can be a long process. If your financial aid eligibility has not been determined by the tuition due date, you will need to pay or sign up for the college’s payment plan at FACTS. You should file your FAFSA by June 1 for the fall semester, Nov. 1 for the spring semester and March 1 for the summer semester. If you are transferring your financial aid from another institution, please  go back to your FAFSA application and add our school code (007365) to your application and re-submit your FAFSA so our office receives the information or contact the Financial Aid Office to help you with this process.




Which Year Form Should You File?


The 2015-16 Free Application for Federal Student Aid is used to award aid for the following terms: 2015 Fall, 2016 Spring and 2016 Summer.


What If you Don't Get Enough Financial Aid?

Some families experience a change in their circumstances that impacts their ability to pay college expenses. If you experience a loss of job or benefits, a death or divorce, you may qualify for a recalculation of your eligibility. Special Conditions applications may be submitted after June 1, AND after the student has been awarded or denied federal student aid based on the original application. Special Conditions may increase your eligibility for federal aid and in some situations the Illinois MAP Grant. Please go to the Financial Aid Forms page or contact the Financial Aid Office for a Special Conditions application.