Jan. 18, 2013
GALESBURG— Carl Sandburg College is seeking entries for the 24th annual Sandburg College Poetry Competition. The contest is open to the general public, and poems will be judged in three categories: elementary, (1st-5th grade), intermediate (6th-12th grade) and adult. Winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony at 6:30 p.m. April 18 in the Student Center on the Main Campus in Galesburg, 2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd., during the Sandburg Days Festival for the Mind, which will take place April 17-21.
Certificates will be presented to first-, second-, and third-place winners in each category. All category winners may read their compositions and receive prizes from Carl Sandburg College at the awards ceremony. All winning poems will be published in a booklet that will be distributed at the ceremony.
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES:
1. Each contestant must live within 200 miles of Carl Sandburg College District 518.
2. Each contestant may enter one poem only.
3. The poem must be typed, in 12-point font, double-spaced, on 8 ½-by-11-inch paper, with the contestant's name, address, phone number and age category in the upper right-hand corner.
4. Poems must be original and previously unpublished.
5. Poems should not be more than two pages.
6. The poet should demonstrate wit, intelligence, imagination and the apt treatment of sound, image and concept and avoid vulgarities. Poems may be free verse or written in pre-established forms (sonnet, sestina, etc.).
7. While the poet will retain all rights of authorship, the poet will grant to Carl Sandburg College the right to publish any or all of the work, or use it for publicity purposes, without the payment of royalties or fees. Entries will not be returned.
8. All submissions must be received at the following address no later than March 1: Carol Petersen, associate dean of humanities and fine arts, Carl Sandburg College, 2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd., Galesburg, Ill., 61401.
For more information, contact Petersen at 309.341.5416 or firstname.lastname@example.org.