Steps to Enroll
Step 1: Explore your options at Sandburg
- Schedule a one-on-one appointment with an admissions recruiter or plan to attend one of our four Explore Sandburg events. sandburg.edu/campusvisit
Step 2: Submit an application
- Complete and submit our free application at sandburg.edu/admissions/applications.
- In approximately a week, you will receive a Welcome Letter with your Sandburg Student ID, Sandburg email address and instructions that will allow you access to your student account and financial aid information through the mySANDBURG system.
Step 3: Apply for financial aid
- Create an FSA ID for the student and parent (if dependent). This is a one time process. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online systems and will serve as your legal signature. Create an FSA ID. The following video is helpful in understanding the requirements to set up an FSA ID. Instructional Video – How to Create an FSA ID.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Sandburg's Federal School code is 007265. You may complete the FAFSA online via the internet at www.fafsa.gov. The FAFSA is used to award federal, state and some institutional aid.
- Monitor your Financial Aid status at mySANDBURG/Self-Service Menu/MyFinancialAid/Financial Aid Self Service and your Sandburg email account.
- Complete and submit any Required Documents on My Financial Aid.
- Continue to monitor the process for additional requests and when processing is complete to view your Award Letter.
- Once your award letter is posted, you may apply for a student loan if it shows you are eligible for a loan. If you are interested in a loan, complete the three steps found under 'Apply for Federal Student Loan' at sandburg.edu/financial-aid/loans
- For more information visit our Financial Aid page
Step 4: Request official transcripts
- High school, GED and all educational institutions.
- Send to: Carl Sandburg College Attn: Admissions 2400 Tom L Wilson Blvd. Galesburg, IL 61401.
Step 5: Take the Placement Test*
*An eighth grade reading level as demonstrated by a standardized test approved by the College is required for admission to developmental and credit classes. This requirement does not apply to Corporate and Leisure classes.
- This untimed assessment test covers reading, math, and will determine the level of classes you may begin.
- Prepare for this test before you take it. Go to sandburg.edu/placement for practice tests, sample questions.
- If you would like reading assistance to complete the test, please contact Disability Support Services at 309.341.5262.
- Register at sandburg.edu/placement; email@example.com or 309.345.3500.
- Students with documentation of an ACT score of 20 in reading and English, an ACT score of 25 in Math, or a PARCC score of 4 or 5 in math or English may opt out of taking the placement test. (ACT scores must be less than 2 years old)
Step 6: Register for classes
- Schedule an appointment with an advisor to register for courses.
- Call 309.341.5237 at the Galesburg campus or 217.357.3129 at Carthage.