Select the link that best describes you.
First Time College Student? (complete Admissions steps listed below)
Still in High School?
An International Student?
Looking for a Non-credit Class/Workshop?
Transferring from another College/University?
Looking for a New Career?
Returning to Carl Sandburg College?
A Parent of a Prospective Student?
1. Visit the Welcome Center to start the new student process.
We will help start your process for becoming a new student at Sandburg. Call (309) 345-3500 today to set up your appointment.
2. Complete the Sandburg Application for Admission.
Go to our online application. Click on Create New Account to start the application. If you do not have a computer with internet access, feel free to come to the Welcome Center in Building B and use one of our computers at the Application Station.
3. Request an official high school transcript indicating date of graduation, class rank and courses completed, or an official GED score report to be sent to the Records Office. Official transcripts must be sent directly from each post-secondary institution attended, including transcripts from colleges from which courses were taken while enrolled in high school. The mailing address is Carl Sandburg College, 2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd., Galesburg, IL 61401.
4. Complete the COMPASS placement exam
Call the Assessment Center at (309) 341-5323 to make an appointment. To view the COMPASS test dates go to Test Dates.
5. Complete the New Student Online Orientation
Complete the New Student Orientation online. This must be completed before you can schedule an appointment with a counselor.
6. Schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor to register for classes.
Appointments may be made by calling
Galesburg Campus (309) 341-5237
Carthage Campus (217) 357-3129 ext. 4467
Bushnell Campus (309) 772-2177 ext. 4444
7. Make a plan for funding your education.
Complete the FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid by going to www.fafsa.ed.gov
Make a payment or sign up for the payment plan.
Note: Accommodations are available for students with qualifying disabilities through the Academic Support office. if students are concerned about possible barriers to access, they should contact the Academic Support Office as early as possible on in order to ensure that the necessary accommodations are in place before classes start. For more information please see the Disability Support page.
NOTE: Some academic programs have special admissions requirements. Please consult the Sandburg Catalog for additional information or call the Student Services Office at (309) 341-5237.
NOTE: International Students need to follow the steps listed above. In addition to submitting an application and all required transcripts, international students also need to submit an affidavit of financial support and official score reports from the TOEFL exam prior to being sent a letter of admission.