Federal Direct Loan Request Form
- You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and receive a Carl Sandburg College (Sandburg) Award notification before completing this application.
- By completing this form you are applying for a loan that must be repaid.
- You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at the time you apply for the loan and throughout the loan period (semester or year) to receive all disbursements.
- Loans may be applied to student accounts 10 days prior to the first day of the term to pay tuition and fees. At the earliest, any remaining funds will be disbursed after 30-days of the semester have been completed.
- You will be notified of the results of this request by mail within three weeks.
- Out of State students are encouraged to apply for any state grant assistance that might be available from their home state prior to seeking student loans.
Sandburg’s Borrowing Policy:
Sandburg evaluates all requests for loans on a case by case basis as authorized under 34 CFR 685.301(a)(7) of the Higher Education Act. Federal regulations allow an institution to refuse to certify a student loan or certify a loan amount that is less than the student’s determination of need. Students will be notified in writing of the Committee’s decision. Sandburg’s Financial Aid Appeals Committee evaluates all requests for loans to determine if borrowing is prudent. Items considered include but are not limited to: debt the student has from past educational loans, progress toward program completion, the current educational debt versus potential future earnings, and/or a review of previous educational records where available.
Steps to apply for a loan:
- Complete the information below and submit.
- You are required to electronically complete and sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) at https://studentloans.gov
- First-time borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling at https://studentloans.gov