student receiving diploma

The focus of freshman and sophomore years at most colleges or universities is on completing the general education requirements. These years are also an opportunity for students to explore many different subjects before deciding on a major.

Carl Sandburg College provides the same quality educational courses that a student would take as a freshman or sophomore anywhere else, but at a much lower cost. Because Carl Sandburg College has individual learning as its number one priority, we offer student-centered classes, faculty and programs that provide the academic skills needed for successful transfer to other institutions.

All Sandburg students will work with an assigned academic advisor to determine the degree path and to establish courses needed for transfer. Please refer to the Academic Advising pages for more information.

Transfer Services

At Carl Sandburg College, we help prepare students to transfer to a four-year college or university to earn their bachelor's degrees. We work with public and private universities. Not matter where you want to go, our academic advisors can help you get there from here. Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degree programs are specifically designed for students to transfer to a four-year college or university.

Associate in Arts

Associate in Science

Associate in Fine Arts

Associate in Science in Agriculture

Associate in General Studies (not intended for transfer to a 4 year college/university)

Additional transfer resources

Transfer school resources

Education majors

Carl Sandburg College has established relationships with 4 year colleges and universities to assist in the transfer process for our students. Students should speak with their academic advisor for more information regarding these agreements.

University partnerships

The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) is a statewide transfer agreement, which is transferable among more than 100 participating college or universities in Illinois. IAI works best for students who know they are going to transfer but undecided on the college or university that will grant their baccalaureate degree.

All colleges and universities participating in the IAI agree to accept a “package” of IAI general education courses in lieu of their own comparable lower-division general education requirements. Keep in mind, the IAI General Education transfers as a package. Course-to-course transfer is not guaranteed.

IAI also includes major recommendations for the first two years of college in several popular majors. Faculty panels, which have expertise in the major field of study, created these recommendations. IAI major recommendations work best for students who have chosen their majors, are going to eventually transfer, but are undecided on the college or university that will grant their baccalaureate degree.

Students who transfer to a 4 year college or university prior to graduating, may consider the reverse transfer option to obtain their degree. Students who have completed at least 15 credit hours towards a degree may transfer credits from other colleges or universities to meet Sandburg degree requirements. Once all degree requirements are met confirmed by our Registrar, the degree will be awarded.

For more information about reverse transfer, please contact Angela Snow at or call 309.341.5233.

Follow the link below for some common transfer schools of Sandburg students. If your transfer school is not listed, please contact your academic advisor for assistance with identifying courses that may transfer to your chosen college or university.


Transfer Guides and Equivalencies