How to file a report

How do you report sexual assault, domestic or dating violence or stalking?


  • If you have been sexually assaulted or injured in any way, you should seek medical treatment immediately regardless of whether you report the matter to police.
  • If on campus, immediately call the Department of Public Safety at 341-5499 or 911 for the local police and emergency medical services. If the victim chooses, the Department of Public Safety can assist in contacting the law enforcement authorities.
  • If off campus or at an off campus site, call 911 for emergency services.
  • Consider seeking assistance from the sexual assault crisis center in your area; see the Victim Assistance Agencies below.
  • The student does have the right to decline notification of authorities.


Individuals may also report sexual misconduct, to include sex offenses, to the institution’s Title IX coordinator. That position is responsible for coordinating the institution’s compliance with Title IX. The Title IX coordinator can be reached at 309.341.5234 or . The institution’s sexual harassment policy and the formal complaint form for discrimination can be found in Board Policies 2.21 (students) and 2.22(employees) and can be obtained in hard copy from the Human Resources Office.


If You Are The Victim of a Sexual Assault:

  • Be aware of your own capabilities and limitations. Your judgment and thinking will be your best weapons. Evaluate the situation for possible avenues of escape.
  • Your first concern should be for your personal safety and survival. Use your judgment to do what is necessary to save your life. That may mean making a scene by drawing attention to yourself so that the assailant leaves. It may mean fighting back. It may mean not resisting physically.
  • If you choose not to resist the attack physically, it does not mean that you have asked to be sexually assaulted. It means that you did what was needed to survive.
  • Remember, there are several “right” ways to respond. The person being attacked is the best judge of which options will work in that situation.
  • Take notice of the characteristics of your assailant, the person’s habits, surroundings, contacts, speech and mannerisms. This could enable you to deal with the assailant and perhaps talk your way out of a rape situation or provide a means of escape. Also, this information is invaluable for the police in trying to apprehend the criminal.
  • Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
  • It is critical to preserve all physical evidence. DO NOT bathe, shower, douche, use the toilet, eat, drink or smoke. DO NOT change clothing. DO NOT touch anything the suspect may have touched, DO NOT chase the suspect.
  • The responding DPS officer or administrator will assist with protection, first aid, counseling referrals, and notifying local law enforcement agencies when requested to do so by the victim. It is important that the victim receive medical attention immediately following the incident. The responding DPS officer or administrator will assist the victim as needed.
  • The DPS will coordinate with the Sandburg Counseling Services utilizing the approved protocols. When a victim notifies the DPS of a sexual assault, the local police or sheriff’s office will not be notified without the victim’s consent. The victim may want to talk with a trained counselor or have a counselor present during police and medical proceedings. The DPS and/or Counseling Services will assist the victim by explaining available options, to include notifying local law enforcement, and they will assist the victim in notifying local law enforcement, upon request.


Male Victims:

While most victims of sexual assault are women, some men are also victims. Male victims will receive the same services as women. Emotional support, optional counseling, legal advocacy and medical treatment are available to assist all those recovering from sexual assault.


Victims Assistance Agencies:

Victims are encouraged to report a sexual assault to the Sandburg Department of Public Safety. However, if the victim does not want to file a report, there are resources available, which include:


Sandburg Counseling Services   Galesburg campus E100 309.341.5237 Bushnell campus 309.772.2177 Carthage campus 217.357.3129 ext. 7247


Bridgeway Inc.  2323 Windish Dr. Galesburg, IL 61401 309.344.2323


Advanced Behavioral Health  2101 Windish Dr. Galesburg, IL 61401 309.342.6852


Galesburg Public Library — Provides material for dealing with abuse, including books and
legal resources. Free Internet access is available. 309.343.6118.


Knox County Child Advocacy — Child Advocacy Center- Providing services to child victims of sexual abuse and serious physical abuse cases in Knox, Warren and Henderson Counties. 309.344.8416.


Knox County State’s Attorney Victim Advocate — Provides emotional support, court advocacy, service referrals, case status updates and scheduling info for victims or survivors of violent crimes once the criminal case has been filed. 309.345.3886.


Safe Harbor Family Crisis Center, 24-Hour Crisis Line — Provides confidential help to individuals who are experiencing violence in their relationships through court advocacy, a 24 hour crisis line, emergency safe house, counseling, food and clothing and referral services. Walk-ins welcome. 1188 W. Main St., Galesburg. 309.343.SAFE (7233).


Victim Services, 24-Hour Crisis Line — All services are free and confidential. Services in Knox County are for sexual abuse/assault survivors only. Crisis intervention, legal advocacy and follow-up counseling services. 309.837.5555


Hancock County Mental Health 357-3176 (Carthage)


WIRC-CAA Victim Services 837-3941 and their Crisis line: 309.837.555 (Macomb)