Medical Assisting Admission Requirements
Admission Requirements for Medical Assisting (Certificate)
If you have never attended Carl Sandburg College, complete an application for general admission to the College and, if desired, apply for financial aid (available online at www.sandburg.edu).
Submit an official high school transcript showing graduation date or copy of GED score report and any appropriate post-secondary educational institutions.
Schedule an appointment with the Counselor for the Medical Assisting program.
Complete the following courses with a “C” or better:
• Medical Terminology - MDT.100
• Anatomy & Physiology Fundamentals - BIO.111
• Keyboarding & Computer Essentials - CIS.105
Complete the HOBET V. The following HOBET V scores are required for admission:
• Reading - minimum score of 55
• Math - minimum score of 50
• Science - minimum score of 33
• English - minimum score of 46
• Total Adjusted - minimum score of 54
6. Complete an application for admission to the Medical Assisting program (program applications are available from the Counselor.
Students interested in this program may complete HTH.130 (First Aid/CPR) before going through the application process.
Admission is competitive. Only the most qualified applicants are admitted. Applications will be accepted June 1 until the October 1 deadline for the January start date. If necessary, additional review dates may be scheduled. Applicants will be notified in writing within two weeks of the deadline of admission status. This program requires a criminal background check, health evaluation including proof of immunity, 10-panel drug screen and CPR certification. Findings on the criminal background check may void the conditional admission and prevent entrance to the program. Findings on the health evaluation and drug screen may prevent placement at the clinical site. Details for these requirements are presented at the mandatory meeting held prior to the start of the program.